Another Notch in the Bible Belt

"In the flood or the fire,
You're with me & You won't let go." -Tenth Avenue North

This past week disaster and devastation was witnessed throughout the Midwest. Fires swept across Southwest Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and the panhandle of Texas. Millions of acres, countless miles of fence, numerous homes, thousands of head of livestock, and precious lives were lost to the flames and billows of smoke. Rivers of tears have been shed, ashes have been blown across the now barren plains, calves have been orphaned, precious loved ones have been sent home to the Lord and hearts have been broken. But despite the sorrow and despair, hope is alive and well right alongside nothing less than the grace of God. 

Ashland, KS -- Fall 2015

 People near and far have without a second thought poured out their hearts and jumped at the opportunity to lend a helping hand to anyone in need. Donations of hay, fencing supplies, water, food, shelter, medication, among various other supplies have flooded highways of the Heartland over this past week. It is beyond humbling and heart warming to witness such apparent examples of Christ's love. I wasn't scorched by the heat of the flames, I didn't smell the smoke, I didn't see the ashes blow through the air first hand, but I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach when I didn't know if some of my best friends, my 'Midwest family' was safe or not. It has been such a sorrowful week watching some of the best people I know suffer such loss. But in the midst of heart break and devastation I don't know if I have ever felt so hopeful or if my heart has ever felt so humbled to witness the presence of Christ's love, grace, and mercy.




The world we live in today often seems to be filled with such negativity. Some say this country is becoming so divided who knows how much longer we will make it. But this past week another notch was punched in the Bible Belt; it was cinched up tight and that buckle won't be budging anytime soon. This past week has proven that good people still exist, political agendas aren't always the source of every good deed, different opinions or the town you call home don't make you better or worse than another, but all that really matters is our love for and our faith in God. I have no doubt the farmers and ranchers faced with the devastation caused by the flames will overcome this tragedy and come back stronger than ever. Every mile driven by a kind soul hauling hay, every water bottle handed out, every orphaned calf bottle fed, and every prayer sent up above helped tighten up the belt that is said to hold this country together. So tight in fact, I think another notch had to be punched and like I said before, I don't see that buckle falling off or loosening up anytime soon.

So, to the folks of the Bible Belt, thank you. Thank you for your passion. Thank you for your selflessness. Thank you for your prime example of God's love. You all have prayers being sent your way from coast to coast. We love you and are so thankful for each of you. Stay strong.


Ashland, KS -- Gardiner Angus Ranch, Fall 2015




Comments